Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spotlight in Six - Nicola Marsh



Welcome to February's Spotlight in Six! This month we welcome Aussie author Nicola Marsh, who is giving away her latest release! Read on....




Where do you find new and fresh ideas?

New ideas spring from everywhere…and usually when I least expect it. Want to hear something strange? A lot of my ideas come to me in that half awake/half asleep state; you know, the drowsy time just before you drop off to sleep? I’ve had ideas and the exact starting line or paragraph for several books happen this way. Weird, huh?

Writers often use photos of celebrities as “casting”. Do you do this, and who has inspired some of your characters?

I didn’t do this for my first 5 books, then discovered other authors did it and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Now, I’m hooked! Mind you, I’m not a visual writer so despite doing loads of research for the perfect hero (and yes, maybe it’s just a poor excuse for me to ogle great looking guys!) once I’ve ‘cast’ my characters, I don’t often look at the pics.

Though I find doing this helps get my creativity flowing before I start the book and is great during the revision process too, when you’ve had time away from the story and want to jump back into the ‘mood’ of the book.

As for who has inspired some of my characters, let’s focus on the heroes, shall we?
Pierce Brosnan, George Eads, Wentworth Miller, Rodrigo Santaro, Scott Speedman, David Beckham, Matthew Fox…I could go on but maybe it’s worth googling pics instead? J

What are your favourite and least favourite parts of writing a novel? Is there a particular section that you struggle with?

My favourite part of writing a novel is the beginning. There’s nothing like that initial burst of creativity when the words fly from your fingertips and your characters can’t leap onto the page fast enough.

My least favourite part would have to be the insecurity. With every book I write, I wonder if my editor will like the story, then whether my readers will like the story.

As for struggling, I think the dreaded sagging middle is the hardest part of a novel to write. To keep the tension escalating, to build towards the black moment, to make sure you’re staying on track and not going off on too many tangents…the middle is tough work!

When you are not writing, what do you do? How do you pamper yourself?

Probably not a good time to ask me this, as I spend all day running after 2 boys, one an active preschooler, the other a 8 month old baby. So when I’m not writing, I’m a busy mum. Pampering is something I’m looking forward to when life gets a bit quieter…I’d love a massage…and a pedicure…and a few blissful hours curled up in bed with a great book from my TBR pile…

Imagine you’re stranded…where are you and who are you with?

If we’re talking real life, I’d have to say anywhere private with my hubby.
But if we’re talking fantasy, please strand me on Capri with Don Hany (I’ve just rediscovered this Aussie actor through a fab 6 part gritty TV drama. He’s little known so I’ve attached a pic for you all. He oozes charisma on the screen…mmm…)

Finally, Nicola, please tell us what’s up and coming for you in the months ahead!

February sees the release of EXECUTIVE MOTHER-TO-BE, my Harlequin Romance featuring a high-powered TV exec producer who doesn’t have time for anything else but her career, let alone kids. So imagine Kristen’s shock when she discovers she’s pregnant…to her boss!

(I also have PURCHASED FOR PLEASURE, my first Harlequin Presents out in Feb so I’m thrilled about that. This is my Navy SEAL book and I love it!)

July sees the release of my next Romance, THE DESERT PRINCE’S PROPOSAL. Think modern sheikh without the robes: alpha, strong, sexy and you have Prince Samman. He meets his match in Bria Green, Australia’s top architect who gets more than she bargains for when she travels to the exotic desert kingdom of Adhara.


Thanks Nic! Nicola has generously offered a copy of EXECUTIVE MOTHER-TO-BE to one lucky reader! Send an e-mail to hrablog@hotmail.com with a subject line of Nicola and we'll draw at the end of the month!

2 comments:

  1. I just started reading this one. Fun so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...hope you enjoy it, Merri :)

    ReplyDelete